In this tutorial, we will tell you how you can unlock the bootloader of any Xiaomi device. Many Mi fans got confused when it started to lock bootloader of its devices and required users to submit an application if they wanted to unlock it. While this might sound complicated process, it is actually not. The whole process of unlocking bootloader of any Xiaomi device is quite simple (but can be frustrating and take time because of the way Xiaomi handles it on its end).
We have used the Redmi 4 for following this tutorial but you don’t have to worry as it works exactly the same way for all Xiaomi devices. So without further ado, let’s get started.
Submitting Application for Unlocking Bootloader on Xiaomi Devices:
- Visit the official Xiaomi Bootloader Unlock page and click the Unlock Now button. If it asks you to sign-in to your Mi account, do it but make sure it is the same account which you are using on the device for which you intend to unlock the bootloader.
- Enter all the required details in the form and click Apply Now button. While giving the reason why you need to unlock the bootloader, just answer honestly and don’t try to copy someone else’s answer from the internet. If they see you have copied, they might reject your application.
- Xiaomi will send you an OTP on the number you entered in the above step. Submit this OTP on the page you see after completing the step two.
- Wait for some time until Xiaomi sends you an SMS mentioning that you have been granted the permission to unlock the bootloader. This waiting time can be in minutes, days or even weeks but there is nothing else that you can do about it except for waiting and being patient.
- On receiving the confirmation, visit Mi Unlock page again and click the Unlock Now button. This will show you the option Mi Unlock Tool which you need to click for downloading the tool and install tool after successful download.
Now, go to Settings->About Phone on your Xiaomi device and tap the MIUI build number seven times. This will enable Developer Options on the device which you will be able to access from Additional Settings option within Settings. Within Developer Options, enable the toggle for OEM unlocking and visit Mi Unlock status option to link your Mi account with the device.
If you have so far without any issues, the remaining part will hardly take two minutes.
Steps to Unlock Bootloader of Xiaomi Devices:
- Power off your Xiaomi device.
- Press volume down button and power button simultaneously for a few seconds to enter the Fastboot mode.
- Launch the Mi Unlock Tool and sign-in using the same Mi account which you used for applying to get the permissions.
- Connect your Xiaomi device with the PC/laptop using the USB cable while making sure that it is in the Fastboot mode.
- The Mi Unlock Tool will recognize your device and show you the Unlock button. Click it to start the bootloader unlocking process.
This process will take less than a minute and on successful unlocking, your Xiaomi device will reboot automatically. If you want to confirm whether the bootloader is unlocked, simply go to Developer Options within Settings and check Mi Unlock status option. It should show you that that bootloader has been unlocked.
If you face any issue in following the tutorial or you have any kind of questions or doubts, feel free to ask them in the comments section below.